It seems today the weather is very unpredictable. In this post Lenn Harley of Homefinders.com shares the items we need to prepare our family for the perfect storm.
The time to prepare for a disaster is before it strikes!
FAMILY DISASTER PREPARATION KIT FOR MARYLAND AND NORTHERN VIRGINIA.
FAMILY DISASTER PREPARATION KIT
BE PREPARED WITH A DISASTER KIT FOR YOUR HOME IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY.
A NOTE FROM LENN HARLEY, BROKER FOR HOMEFINDERS.COM
The suggestions below were developed over the years as we watched hurricane season come and go, year after year. Of course, we are spared major damages in most years. Thankfully, we're far enough north and from the shore that most storms miss us completely. However, Montgomery County experienced long electrical outages in 2003 when Hurricane Isabel came through. My home in Bethesda was without electricity for 5 days. My recommendation: Store lots of batteries.
We suggest purchasing a large plastic trash can or bin, a picnic ice carrier will do, and stock it with the following:
FOOD FOR THE FAMILY
* Water, water, water, stored in plastic containers. A three day supply is recommended.
* Cans of food that can be eaten without cooking, beans, fruits, vegetables, meats, juices, milk, formula. Yes, you can buy bottled coffee today. Tea will seep into cold water with time. Don't forget to include a can opener. Cans of food with "pull tabs" work well too. Snack foods, soups, vegetables and fruit come in such easy to open containers and often in serving sizes.
* Quick snacks for the children and hard working adults; peanut butter, crackers, granola bars, trail mixes and/or raisins and nuts.
* Baby food if needed, special diet food for folks who require it in their diets.
FIRST AID KIT
* Rather than stock a first aid kit with supplies, these can be purchased at your local Pharmacy, ready to go with sterile supplies.
* Miscellaneous items: safety pins, latex gloves, sunscreen, toothbrushes and tooth paste.
* Aspirin or non-aspirin pain reliever, antacid, anti-diarrhea medication, Ipecac, activated charcoal (can be purchased at pharmacies) prescription medication.
TOOLS AND SUPPLIES
* Paper dishes, utensils, paper cup, paper towels, disposable baby bottles.
* Flashlight(s), batteries, batteries, batteries and more batteries, matches.
* Battery operated radio/TV
* Favorite toys for the little ones.
* Tools: pliers, duct tape, compass, signal flare, pencil paper, wrench, plastic sheeting, toilet paper, towelettes, soap, feminine supplies, plastic bags, bucket with tight lid, disinfectant, bleach.
CLOTHING AND SLEEPING SUPPLIES
* Boots, rain gear, blankets or sleeping bags, caps, gloves, extra underwear.
IMPORTANT FINANCIAL LEGAL DOCUMENTS
It is recommended that home owners use a watertight container to store the following important document. * Wills, insurance policies, stocks and bonds, passports, immunization records, credit card account umbers/vendors, important telephone numbers, birth certificates, death certificates. The deed to your home can be included, but is seldom used because there is a records at the county land records if needed and will be found by an abstracter if you sell real estate or borrow equity.
KEEP ALL OF THE ABOVE IN A LARGE, EASY TO CARRY CONTAINER.
Stay safe and comfy.
Courtesy, Lenn Harley, Broker, Homefinders.com, 800-711-7988.
Want to learn more about Loudoun County, VA? Join Loudoun County, VA on Facebook!